Here are the top 13 things I learned from this podcast, in no particular order of importance.
I’ve highlighted the ones I found most interesting and will put into action.
1. Engagement is one of the most important things that affects the Facebook algorithm.
A Like is worth the equivalent to 1 point, a comment is worth 6 and a share is worth 13.
2. A check-in or a review is worth 13, similar to a share.
3. If someone unlikes your page or reports it, it is the equivalent to minus 100 points.
4. More shares is better than more likes.
5. The average video viewing on Facebook is 6 seconds.
Make your video count from the start.
6. Don’t be pushy in posts.
Don’t show signs of self-promotion.
You wouldn’t go up to someone in real life and say “buy my product” and shove it in their face.
Adopt the same etiquette on social media as you would in real life.
7. Short videos are the key to success.
8. ‘Consumption’ is when someone is moving around social media but not reacting. This affects the algorithm; what profiles and pages are they viewing, how long for, where do they go next?……
9. ‘Decay factor’ is how quickly things fall off people’s timeline. It used to be around 4 hours. It is now about 1 hour. You can resurrect an old post by reacting to it (liking, commenting, sharing etc). This can be done years after the original post was created.
10. Create ‘evergreen content’ so you can bring back old posts.
Evergreen means a post that does not date.
11. Boost posts that get a good organic reaction.
“Boost things that are hot.”
“Make the good things better.”
Boosting a successful organic post is like adding fuel to a fire.
There is no point boosting a poorly performing post.
12. Shareable content should be boosted.
Don’t put money on posts that don’t have a strong social response.
13. “Boost your winners,” it deserves to be seen by lots of people.
The Facebook algorithm is constantly changing and adapting so users cannot find loopholes and hacks.
This post was written on 04/11/17 so some or all information above may
Click here to listen to The Facebook Algorithm for Marketers – Episode 274.
I work with a number of companies and individuals helping them boost their social media pages. If you would like to know more about the consultancy packages I offer, please use the contact form below.